Patient Information Resources

Centre for Orthopaedics
Suite 10-33/34/35 Mount Elizabeth Novena Specialist Centre
38 Irrawaddy Road
Singapore, 329563, Singapore
Ph: (65) 6684 5828
Fax: (65) 6684 5829

Child Orthopedics
Pain Management
Spine - Cervical
Spine - General
Spine - Lumbar
Spine - Thoracic

View Web RX

« Back

I've been doing some reading about CRPS. I've just been diagnosed with this problem. I see there are two kinds. How can I tell which kind I have?

The signs and symptoms of CRPS are the same with both Type I and Type II. The only real difference is that with Type II (also known as causalgia), there is a known nerve lesion or nerve damage. Type I has no identifiable nerve trauma. Type I has been called reflex sympathetic dystrophy until this distinction was made several years ago.

You may be able to figure out for yourself which type you have based on your history. If not, ask your doctor to explain which type you have and why. Type I is most common after some type of soft tissue trauma. Type I is also possible after a period of immobilization such as after an accident, injury, or stroke. Something as simple as having blood drawn or a bug bite can also result in Type I CRPS.

Type II occurs when the nerve has been cut, damaged, or injured in some way. This could happen as a result of an accident or surgery.


« Back

*Disclaimer:*The information contained herein is compiled from a variety of sources. It may not be complete or timely. It does not cover all diseases, physical conditions, ailments or treatments. The information should NOT be used in place of visit with your healthcare provider, nor should you disregard the advice of your health care provider because of any information you read in this topic.

All content provided by eORTHOPOD® is a registered trademark of Mosaic Medical Group, L.L.C.. Content is the sole property of Mosaic Medical Group, LLC and used herein by permission.